Want to boost your product listing’s conversions?
If so, you’re going to need strong bullet points. Effective bullet points are one of the best ways to highlight your product’s benefits and get shoppers interested.
Under Amazon’s product listings, bullet points are located beside the product’s images and below the title. After your title, bullets are the second thing that shoppers read so they play a huge role in your product description.
Effective bullets build your product’s desirability and compel shoppers to pull out their wallets. On the other hand, poor ones make shoppers click away...
Depending your product’s category, each bullet point can have a character limit of anywhere from 100 to 200 characters. So if you’re selling on Amazon, this can make things a bit confusing. For this reason, it’s best to check your category to check Amazon’s guidelines.
Here are some other general bullet point rules:
- Start off each bullet with a capital letter
- Put your product’s most important features first. This maximizes your chances of grabbing your readers’ attention.
- Include product features, such as materials, color, size, etc. But also be sure to include the feature’s benefits.
- Keep them short. Write in fragments and don’t end with punctuation
- If you have extra space, give some information about your brand or company. Even if you’re not well established, this builds trust and make you more relatable to customers.
- Don’t mention pricing or promotions
Let’s take a look at AmazonBasics Multifunction Come-Apart Shears
The bullet points are short and sweet and quite scannable.
They do a great job of listing each of the feature’s benefits. The “locking feature” is important for stability and security.
The shears' multifunctional capabilities are highlighted and the fact that it can remove caps and crack nuts is impressive!
Non-slip grip is also a nice feature since it keeps your hands safe while cutting.
The only thing they could have improved upon is the last bullet point. How is “Hand wash only” beneficial to shoppers? I probably would have mentioned another useful feature or mention this in the description section.
Now let’s compare AmazonBasic's shears to this listing:
This listing fails to take advantage of the five bullet/features available, only listing three. They could have included more important features and keywords, such as color, material, size, etc to boost conversions. This is important because Amazon uses conversions as one of your listing’s ranking factors.
The more useful information that customers have about your product and brand, the more likely they will buy your product. You have to think like your customer. If you were buying your product, what information would like you like to know?
Even if the features seem obvious to you, they may not be obvious to your shoppers. This is why knowing your target audience is so vital since you can use that information to create a better product description.
The listing’s bullets are also vague and fail to show the product’s specific benefits. How is it a high quality item? Why is it a great gift idea? Just saying something is “high quality” doesn’t mean shoppers are going to believe you.
For example, they could have said:
- Beanie is made from high quality, long lasting, pre-treated cotton so it’s made to last.
- Makes for a great gift for birthdays, Christmas, and other special occasions. It’s perfect for anyone wanting to add some style to their wardrobe.
- Comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee so pick up yours today!
Tips when writing bullet points
If you’re still not sure what to write for your bullet points, ask yourself what makes your product unique or special from your competitors?
Does your product offer any unique features or benefits?
Do you have a strong money back guarantee?
Think of ways to make your product more desirable and be to let your shoppers know too.
Lastly, don’t assume that the first bullets points that you write are your best. Write a few more. I bet you’ll surprise yourself at how many great bullets you’ll be able to come up with.